Sometimes, no matter how hard someone might try, a device just gets lost. Or misplaced. We think we’ve left it on one table and somehow it’s managed to slip into the couch cushion.App developer Matt Wiechec has an option for people who want to have a bit of peace of mind when it comes to the possibility of losing a device. The app is called “Marco Polo,” and it allows users to locate their misplaced iPhone or iPad with the sound of their voice. The newest update to the app, which was outlined by MacRumors, adds a Notification Center widget that will allow users to find other iOS devices while the app is running, and brings custom responses to the app as well.
Marco Polo is meant to be a bit different than Apple’s loss prevention “Find My iPhone” feature, where with the app it’s meant to function as a means to locate a device that’s within close proximity to the owner. So, like the situation mentioned above, where a device might fall into the depths of a couch. The app’s functionality means that for it to work, it has to be running in the background, so that the device in question can use its microphone to wait for a specific phrase. As one can imagine, the default phrase is, “Marco.”
As a result, the device will send out an audio response, which, not surprisingly, is, “Polo.”
With the new update, users will be able to change that response from the device, to phrases like, “I’m over here,” or, “Who’s there?” There are even voice options, too, just to change things up. The Notification Center widget will let the user find other iOS devices that have been misplaced with just a tap of a digital button.
The developer says that this is the largest update to the Marco Polo app to date, and here’s the full breakdown:
“Our largest update yet, ready for the new year. We’ve added great new features, new voices, custom responses, widgets, and improved the entire app experience!
– Custom Responses are here! Now your device can ring back more than just POLO!
– Choose from responses like “I’m Over Here”, “Who’s There?”, “iPhone Reporting”, and many others. Even enter your own phrase!
– New iOS 8 Nearby Widget; skip shouting and find other devices right from Notification Center
– Greatly improved voice recognition
– Added new voices like MOVIE GUY and WICKED, including supporter exclusives like ARNOLD, BUSH, KERMIT, SLY, and more
– The app is now Universal to support the iPad, and completely optimized for iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus“
The app is available in the App Store, through the link below. It costs $0.99.